Keeping your teeth and gums healthy is a partnership between you and Dr. Muller. It’s important for you to follow good oral hygiene at home, which includes brushing twice a day for two minutes and flossing once a day, and it’s also important for you to come in to see us regularly for a professional cleaning and exam. The American Dental Association recommends visiting the dentist every six months, and doing so will help you avoid gum disease and tooth decay as well as the many dangerous conditions such as diabetes and heart disease.
A typical cleaning appointment lasts about an hour and includes the following services:
- X-rays: X-Rays allow us to see if there is anything going on below the surface of your teeth.
- Check for cavities: Complete examination of your teeth to ensure they are healthy.
- Check for gum disease: Complete examination of the gums around your teeth for any sign of gum disease.
- Check existing restorations: Examination of any crowns, bridges, or other restorations you have had to ensure they are holding up.
- Removal of plaque and tartar: Plaque is a film that builds up on your teeth and can cause dental problems. When left too long, it turns into tartar.
- Teeth polishing: Removal of teeth stains.
- Oral cancer screening: We will check the soft tissues of your mouth for any possible signs or irregularities.